[TFT6] Virtual Life times

Role-playing discussion and such.
jayphailey

[TFT6] Virtual Life times

Post by jayphailey » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:37 pm

TFT6 has the technology to induce high speed virtual experience.

This is from the TNG Episode "The Inner Light" and the DS9 Episode "Hard Time"

STO-Starfleet uses this to train new recruits.

The ethics of this are not clear. STO-Starfleet didn't care. They said "Screw it" and used it.

This technology is also used for theraputic uses. In the case I am thinking of a character went to a virtual Tahiti and stayed there for years, recovering from a bad scene.

This is called the Tahiti Project (A reference to the Agents of Shield TV Series) At Tahiti, people can interact with a variety of virtual people, learn and relax. When they feel ready they can exit the theraputic space.

The Vulcans, the Betazoids and the Ane will have a LOT of questions about this technology and its uses.

The ability to throw someone into a chair for a night and get a trained technician, spaceman, soldier or medic out will be tempting to Starfleet.

jayphailey

Re: [TFT6] Virtual Life times

Post by jayphailey » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:45 pm

These are not used for punishment by STO-Starfleet, which fails to see the point.

There is a "Dark Tahiti" but this is for prisoners who are dangerously insane. The goal is to try and help them overcome these issues to where they don't present a danger to society.

This has seen limited success. A Parallel program in both the STO-Verse and ours is working on studying and defining the sort of brain damage that leads to psychopaths and sociopaths and treating that.

It has had much more success. A mix of actual neural therapy followed by a trip to Tahiti seems to work a LOT better.

In the Epiphany-Trek Universe, the Ane are at the forefront of this. They cn feel a psychopaths brain from the inside and see precisely what's broken.

Therapy is hard work, since a serial killer is a mix of bad brain and bad environment. How much can you change without editing the experience and the underlying person?

The Ane reach a certain point and quit. They will not willingly alter someone's brain to the point where they are editing the underlying identity.

The Vulcans and the Betazoids agree.

Oops, used up my time. Off to Bill then work

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Many of the People one interacts with in Virtual training and Tahiti are actual people who volunteered to be recorded for the purposes of the Simulation.

The simulation uses the users brain to simulate the people and places, tying into the mechanisms the brain has for seeing understand and interacting with actual people and the world.

Sergeant Pazenschky had the odd experience of having entire generations of Starfleet people remembering going through bootcamp under his tender mercies, hundreds of thousands or millions of people.

but it was all based on recordings of sessions over a period of time about four years ago from his reckoning.

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:40 am

I find myself uneasy over the very idea. Changing the way the brain learns is not good for the brain. Puke U is pushing it. This seems like it would do damage.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:19 pm

Innkeeper wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:40 am
I find myself uneasy over the very idea. Changing the way the brain learns is not good for the brain. Puke U is pushing it. This seems like it would do damage.

It was already established as thing in Cannon. (The Inner Light) I think the Ane would have problems with it because it amounts to photocopying pages from one story and pasting them into another.

I see this as being "Shelved" for ethical reasons. But a Starfleet desperate for people would reach for such a thing in it was possible.

Jay Six had Jay-of-A, Kami, Bubba and Binky so treated so they'd have basic knowledge of the Trek world and an expected role should things turn really bad. This is a way to quickly transition characters from a nonTrek setting into a Trek setting.

They have not asked the Star Wars Characters who have been tossed in with them because they get technology and star travel even if their expectations and details are different.

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:38 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:19 pm
It was already established as thing in Cannon. (The Inner Light) I think the Ane would have problems with it because it amounts to photocopying pages from one story and pasting them into another.
So is the time travel story of the week.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Its a handwave to allow non-trek characters to come play trek