[TFT6] The Deal

Role-playing discussion and such.
jayphailey

[TFT6] The Deal

Post by jayphailey » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Admiral Jay Six and Starfleet Command have worked out a deal. This is mainly based on precedent worked out by Far Sector.

Six and his crews will stay together for the time being. Starfleet will support them, and they in tern will act as Starfleet or Starfleet auxiliar units.

In return all ships have turned over technical specs. This Federation can now build ships to do what any of the TFT6 ships can do. The principle advancement here is the availability of class XV weapons and shields.

They have advanced power distribution systems which means that Starfleet ships can wring more performance out of their warp cores and auxiliary power systems. A transport or support unit can now get by with a much smaller Disodium warp core, because their power transfer systems are much better.

Debate now begins. Several ships have weapons systems that they claim come from the future. The most prominent are "Quantm Phase" Phasers and torpedoes.

These deal physical damage like "normal" class XV weapons, but they do 5 times that amount of damage to shields. There's an area-of-effect damage effect to surrounding vessels shields. These weapons use an odd interaction between subspace and quantum dynamics. It's one of those "Oh. Of course" things once you see it. The energy dumped into shields by the phaser beam or the torpedo detonation phases into and out of subspace, creating a shower of strange particles, These just play hell with force field technology.

Using these a single ship can fire a brace of Quantum Phase Photon Torpedoes, and on a good hit reduce the shields of a target to almost nothing. great for battling pirates and raiders. more advanced shields can resist this effect some - the more advanced the better, but the effect has not been counter acted yet.

----------------

There's also "Transphasic" torpedoes. These skip in and out of phase with normal reality. On a good hit they can totally bypass shields. These were designed as anti-borg weapons. if they get past shields, they deal extra damage to data networks via a sort of subspace pulse.

Many Ships in TFT6 have different or eclectic weapons in various mounts (In this formation, they preferred phasers with interesting modifications. One type seen is a fork in the development of phasers. Imagine Starfleet in the 2260s went completely paranoid and started supercharging their weapons as hard as they could.

Then these folks adopted these and refined them. They're phasers, but different.

There's a couple of different AU forks where weapons tech has been adopted and modernized.

These variations turn the ships into maintenance-heavy girls. But it's hard to adapt when opposing ships have the kitchen sink to hit you with.

----------------------

The technical specifications of ALL this are in Starfleets hands now. At will, they can duplicate anything these ships are doing.

But... Since this Starfleet isn't in a desperate war, fighting for survival, they can afford to take the time and carefully look at all this technology and see what they want to use and how.

A lot of this stuff goes into strategic planning files. "If things get stupid and the need is dire, here are some things that the AU Federation did and what worked and what didn't."

-------------------

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Re: [TFT6] The Deal

Post by Innkeeper » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:17 am

Fine for ST-OM, you can do as you please. How about consulting with me about my universe.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 am

Innkeeper wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:17 am
Fine for ST-OM, you can do as you please. How about consulting with me about my universe.
How would that look?

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:35 am

jayphailey wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 am
Innkeeper wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:17 am
How would that look?
Talk it over with me before making sweeping changes?
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:09 am

Okay, I think I see one of the problems.

Anything I write at this time is a proposal. Its not set in stone. I am phrasing it "I am describing the green box. The Green box is forest green and 1 foot by 1 foot by 1 foot."

Then Garry says "That color doesn't work for me. How about blue?"

Then I go "I am describing the BLUE BOX" etc etc etc.

Or I say "I need it o be green because the color affects elements A, B and C, and if the Box is blue, then everything down stream of that has to change and it gets weird."

All the things I am saying here under this "[TFT6]" tag are open for negotiation.

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:09 pm

STO has gone interesting places, but not all are in line with the direction that Epiphany Trek has gone. But we are dealing with a setting that is at the core "starships fight".

Hurq and the Iconians in Epiphany Trek are totally different. Long before STO did their thing I established, in game, what these races are. I'm not changing that. Like the Dominion War in DS9 or all of Voyager, a path not traveled. That does not make DS9 bad, just an AU.

Some of the STO weapons are a touch on the eye-rolly side. I don't have Hell Bores in Epiphany Trek either. They are the result of a universe of battle, much like many of the STO weapons.

They need to be taken case by case. Like you had time travel tech melt down some weapons might not pass physics muster. Some tactical muster, how does one see ship to ship battle? Recall the very different ideas we had on photon torpedos, all because of the different games we played.

If you are doing a thing with the Urafiki do not assume any done deals.
-- The Innkeeper