I just saw Solo

General Topics
jayphailey

I just saw Solo

Post by jayphailey » Wed May 30, 2018 1:02 am

I just saw Solo, I Enjoyed it. There’s a lot of emotional reaction to it.

As a young person I was always more of a Trek Fan than a Star Wars fan, even though I was very much a fan of Star Wars growing up, I always Saw Star Wars as more Cartoony.

As an adult, I can see that indeed, Star Wars WAS intended to be a less serious space adventure. I can also see that Star Trek often fails in it’s goal to be Hornblower meets Gulliver’s Travels in Space.

So I have never been as emotionally invested in the lore of Star Wars. I think this allows me to view Modern Star Wars Films in a different, less critical way. It’s Flash Gordon Part 23. It’s Buck Rogers with CGI.

It was always MEANT to be a fun popcorn movie, not anything so serious.

Like Star Trek, I approach star Wars as a Buffet. “How could I use this in a daydream> how could I use this in a fanfic? how could I use this in a RPG?”

And that allows me to bypass Dumb stuff and stuff that didn’t work.

I think an argument could be made that it leaves me too uncritical, since I am not going to pnd a lot of tim disapproving of elements I won’t be using anyway.

One big example is starship Fuel. It has been a MacGuffin in the last two star Wars films.

In Jay-SW, the ships do not use fuel. They use (magical) Zero Point energy generators. I made this element up in my head to explain why from 1977 until 2017 it was NEVER mentioned.

I actually made this idea up in the early 1990s when my brain decided I needed to make up Jay-SW as a role playing setting. Not because I had any intent at that time, just because my brain works that way.

So when, in TLJ or Solo, it becomes a plot point My brain goes “Oh, okay, for this story, that’s an important thing to these characters, but I won’t worry about it in my telling.”

And I don’t get upset about it because it’s not my problem

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Re: I just saw Solo

Post by Innkeeper » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 am

There is a certain fan for whom everything must fit their vision. Nothing will ever satisfy them because they are not the director.

I have yet to see the film mainly because I don't like going to theaters much. It may well be that I won't see this film or TLJ not because they don't meet expectations, but they have been talked to death and I don't think I can see them with a fully open mind. Like the invisible gorilla, once it is pointed out you cannot not see the thing.

Rouge One left me cold when I learned that every introduced character dies. The Phantom Plot and Attack of the Clowns turned me off. Natalie Portman aside. Revenge of the Sith remains unseen.

The Force Awakens was not a bad film, it had moments. Seeing what got left on the cutting room floor might make it better. It was not good enough to make me rush out and see The Last Jedi.

Solo is likely to fall to my general ennui. I'm not excited enough to spend the cash.
-- The Innkeeper