Jay of A and Coran

In character play
jayphailey

Re: Jay of A and Coran

Post by jayphailey » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Innkeeper wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:14 am
Coran: "Would it disappoint to find that I like much the same as anyone else? Friends, my family, a good stout, music, all of the above. We don't have 'media'. You need make fun yourself, with those around you.

Roydra: "I don't get disappointed when I ask someone about themselves. I am always learning something. How many children do you have?"
Jay-of-A: "There are some who say the power of the Gods come from those who worship them. How true is this?"
Coran: "That would be a large perhaps. The rules differ from cosmos to cosmos. For what you knew, and I know it is in part true. Worship is indeed a large part of what the god can do for others. The more worship, the more the god can power the clerics. I and my ilk are not dependent on worship for existence as you may have heard. Those gods whom worship created, that is the case."

Jay-of-A "How does one tell the difference between the two?"

Binky: "So if I ask someone to swear by Coran, that involves you in the interaction?" (Coran can tell Binky would consider that almost insanely intrusive)
Coran: "That is indeed the case. And don't worry about it. It is a thing I allow."

Binky: "I will bear this in mind, Sir."

Bubba: "We're in a Bar, having a drink. If we're in the field, and Coran shows up, I will salute and say 'Yes, Sir'. How often do you get to ask a God questions? There's whole books about people lying about meeting Gods."
Coran: "This is the one place you can do that. No smiting zone.

Bubba: "Who was the last guy you smited?"
Jay-of-A: "How so?"
Coran: "I am not legalistic. The letter of the law can go fish. It is justice and fairness I seek. If the law denies that, I will fight that law and those lawmakers."

Jay-of-A: "But without the letters of the law, how can you know what the law is? How do you know what Justice and Fairness are?"
Bubba: "Please protect me from the things that could bother YOU. And, y'know. If you need something stabbed or phasered, call me. My rates are reasonable."
Coran: "I would if I could Bubba, but our universes do not touch save here."

Kami: "Bubba. You and I have obligations. We're Starfleet Contractors now. If we get back, we're defenders of Neverwinter."

Bubba: "Look, if a God shows up and says 'I need some guy, or some monsters stabbed.' are you going to get stabbing, or quibble about jurisdiction?"

Roydra (dry) "If you need a peace deal mediated, or a disaster responded to, call Starfleet. If you need a planet defended, I am pretty sure our admiral will turn out as well. But we're in the business of exploration, protection and making peace work. However, we don't sell our moral compass. We help people on our terms."
Coran: "I would more likely call on the Star Forces of the Twelve Worlds Empire. They are...closer."

Roydra: "Tell me about this twelve worlds empire?"
They all look at him.

Jay: "And you didn't stop them from killing and eating girls?"
Coran: "It's in Hell. Jurisdictional issues. Mephistopheles would not appreciate me busting the place up."
Jay, Kami, Bubba and Binky are bothered. Roydra is trying to decide how much of this story she believes. Her cultural background isn't one where hell is a reall thing.

They all nod. Although not the same war, they've all been in terrible battles where it seemed the enemy was endless and undefeatable.

Roydra Raises her glass: "Glad the right side won."
Coran: "Opá! To those we left behind."
All: "Opa!"

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:25 am

jayphailey wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Roydra: "I don't get disappointed when I ask someone about themselves. I am always learning something. How many children do you have?"
Coran: "A good friend says that people keep him going. At 72,000 years old something is working for him. How many, let me think here. I've been at this Fatherhood thing 300 years. Myself and a direct mate, 182, including adopted.

Coran: "People don't have labels, gods are the same. I myself would have delve deep into the being of a fellow god to know."

Bubba: "Who was the last guy you smited?

Coran: "Define smite? Lightning bolts from the blue is not my style. Bobby Ian MacDonald got a good talking to for acting the bully two days ago. I am certain he felt very smited.
Jay-of-A: "But without the letters of the law, how can you know what the law is? How do you know what Justice and Fairness are?"

Coran: "Mortal beings are gifted with a good feel for moral matters. Most of the time, if you feel that something is fair or just or is not, you will be right. Do unto others as you would have done unto you is a good axiom. Too many laws do not make a people good. Second, I live by the principle that to save a live is always better than the take one. And if someone is out to take lives, they have to go through me to do it. Sadly, I must limit this. While I see all, I am not all powerful."
Roydra: "Tell me about this twelve worlds empire?"

Coran: He hands her a padd. "It would be a good sized college course. It's on the padd. Consider it light reading. You are highly unlikely to encounter it." (OOG: content of the Twelves Worlds Gazetteer related wiki and a bit more.)

And slam the drink down.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 am

Innkeeper wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:25 am
Coran: "A good friend says that people keep him going. At 72,000 years old something is working for him. How many, let me think here. I've been at this Fatherhood thing 300 years. Myself and a direct mate, 182, including adopted.
Roydra: (stares for a moment) "How many are you in regular contact with?"

Coran: "People don't have labels, gods are the same. I myself would have delve deep into the being of a fellow god to know."
Jay-of-A: "Have you done this before with other Gods? What if the effect of this on them and you?"

Bubba: "Who was the last guy you smited?

Coran: "Define smite? Lightning bolts from the blue is not my style. Bobby Ian MacDonald got a good talking to for acting the bully two days ago. I am certain he felt very smited.
Bubba: "How was he acting like a bully?"

Coran: "Mortal beings are gifted with a good feel for moral matters. Most of the time, if you feel that something is fair or just or is not, you will be right. Do unto others as you would have done unto you is a good axiom. Too many laws do not make a people good. Second, I live by the principle that to save a live is always better than the take one. And if someone is out to take lives, they have to go through me to do it. Sadly, I must limit this. While I see all, I am not all powerful."

Jay-of-A: "I have seen a number of mortal beings who didn't seem to feel this way. Is that normal or is an outside force at work? Can people just be evil because, or does something make them evil?"
Coran: He hands her a padd. "It would be a good sized college course. It's on the padd. Consider it light reading. You are highly unlikely to encounter it." (OOG: content of the 12 Worlds related wiki and a bit more.)

Roydra (Boink): "Okay! Thank you!"

And slam the drink down.
Roydra and Binky sip. Jay-of-A and Bubba slam.

-------------------------

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:55 am

jayphailey wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 am
Roydra: (stares for a moment) "How many are you in regular contact with?"
Coran: "All the 87 that still live. I was not immortal in my early days. I stay an active family Patriarch. Many grand children and many many great grandchildren. I am there." Very Fatherly smile.

Jay-of-A: "Have you done this before with other Gods? What if the effect of this on them and you?"
Coran: "I've never felt the need to look into that."

Coran: "You are unfamiliar with the actions of a bully? I find that hard to credit. In this case pushing younger children away from apparatus he wanted to use in the park. We had a few meaningful words, and he spent the balance of the day on chores.

Jay-of-A: "I have seen a number of mortal beings who didn't seem to feel this way. Is that normal or is an outside force at work? Can people just be evil because, or does something make them evil?"
Coran: "The nature of evil is a slippery thing. Most people, do evil they are not evil. Actual creatures that are evil are rare, fortunately. If you ignore that inner voice enough, you learn to not hear it. Then you have the damaged soul that can do evil, and not feel remorse. Some can be reasoned with. For those that will not reason, we have weapons. It is a sad day to correct such a soul with sharpened blades.

Seldom is there an outside force. There might be a trigger, but the decision is their own. The person that will do anything for revenge for example."
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:50 am

[quote=Innkeeper post_id=3050
Coran: "All the 87 that still live. I was not immortal in my early days. I stay an active family Patriarch. Many grand children and many many great grandchildren. I am there." Very Fatherly smile.
[/quote]

Roydra: "How do you find the time?"

Coran: "You are unfamiliar with the actions of a bully? I find that hard to credit. In this case pushing younger children away from apparatus he wanted to use in the park. We had a few meaningful words, and he spent the balance of the day on chores.
[/quote]

Bubba blinks: "oh, that brings up some memories."
Coran: "The nature of evil is a slippery thing. Most people, do evil they are not evil. Actual creatures that are evil are rare, fortunately. If you ignore that inner voice enough, you learn to not hear it. Then you have the damaged soul that can do evil, and not feel remorse. Some can be reasoned with. For those that will not reason, we have weapons. It is a sad day to correct such a soul with sharpened blades.

Seldom is there an outside force. There might be a trigger, but the decision is their own. The person that will do anything for revenge for example."
Roydra: "There are mental health conditions that affect the ability to feel empathy and sympathize with other people. There is also a raange of skill and talent in percieving consquences and rewwards for actions. People who are poor at considering long term consequences, and lack empathy can be extremely dangerous.

There are some people so over confident that they feel they can defeat anny possible consequences for bad actions.

In my field we don't talk about good and evil. But we do consider who might be dangerous. We have to. We have a duty to warn if a paitient is dangerous."

------------------------

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:23 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:50 am

Coran: "Omnipresence has it's uses."

Coran: "It does then."

Roydra: "There are mental health conditions that affect the ability to feel empathy and sympathize with other people. There is also a raange of skill and talent in perceiving consequences and rewards for actions. People who are poor at considering long term consequences, and lack empathy can be extremely dangerous.

There are some people so over confident that they feel they can defeat any possible consequences for bad actions.
Coran: "In my field those are spoken of as 'The late'."

In my field we don't talk about good and evil. But we do consider who might be dangerous. We have to. We have a duty to warn if a patient is dangerous."
Coran: These are true, but what I and Jay speak of are creatures truly Evil by nature. They most certainly exist. Choices and pathologies do not make for evil people, just evil actions. But there do dwell in dark places creatures of true Evil."
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Getting these, too

Post by jayphailey » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Got a lot of work at work while I'm working :)

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:39 am

Innkeeper wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:23 pm
jayphailey wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:50 am

Coran: "Omnipresence has it's uses."

Roydra: "What does now?"

Coran: "It does then."
Bubba: "Ummm, maybe some lessons I learned as a boy."

Kami: "You still act like a boy."

Bubba (Grins): "Maybe a little older."

Roydra: "There are mental health conditions that affect the ability to feel empathy and sympathize with other people. There is also a raange of skill and talent in perceiving consequences and rewards for actions. People who are poor at considering long term consequences, and lack empathy can be extremely dangerous.

There are some people so over confident that they feel they can defeat any possible consequences for bad actions.
Coran: "In my field those are spoken of as 'The late'."
Roydra: "In my culture we try to treat sick people."

Jay-of-A: "Have you never had to defend yourself?"

Roydra: "I have, sadly, but that's not my preference."
In my field we don't talk about good and evil. But we do consider who might be dangerous. We have to. We have a duty to warn if a patient is dangerous."
Coran: These are true, but what I and Jay speak of are creatures truly Evil by nature. They most certainly exist. Choices and pathologies do not make for evil people, just evil actions. But there do dwell in dark places creatures of true Evil."
Roydra: "Such as?"

---------------------

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:59 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:39 am

Roydra: "What does now?"

Coran: "I can be many places at once. Don't have much choice in the matter really."

Coran: "I contend that we must never lose the wonderment of childhood, while still remembering to pay the bills and clean the replicator. Acting like a boy is not a bad thing. It is acting the scold to castigate it."

Coran: "I don't know many people that go looking for fights. A few mind you. It is as much a thing as those that seek dangerous thrills. The adrenaline, or equivalent for your species. When you don't have aircraft and parachutes to jump out of them, you seek fights.

Sick, as in the mental condition is not the same everywhere. The village fool is a beloved character, tolerated and protected where I come from. Some cultures lock them up in dungeons, for moral reasons. You seek to cure them. Which is kindest?"

Coran: "Devils, deamons, they do exist." A rather large sword is suddenly on his hip. "This is Feindslayer. So named as I used it to kill 50 of the pit fiend body guard of Asmodeus, in Hell. Yes, I have seen the face of true Evil. It does exist. " The sword would depart.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:52 pm

-----------------

Innkeeper wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:59 pm
Coran: "I can be many places at once. Don't have much choice in the matter really."
Roydra: "What does that mean, exactly?"

Coran: "I contend that we must never lose the wonderment of childhood, while still remembering to pay the bills and clean the replicator. Acting like a boy is not a bad thing. It is acting the scold to castigate it."
Kami: "It is when it amounts to lewd remarks at all the serving girls in the tavern."

Coran: "I don't know many people that go looking for fights. A few mind you. It is as much a thing as those that seek dangerous thrills. The adrenaline, or equivalent for your species. When you don't have aircraft and parachutes to jump out of them, you seek fights.

Sick, as in the mental condition is not the same everywhere. The village fool is a beloved character, tolerated and protected where I come from. Some cultures lock them up in dungeons, for moral reasons. You seek to cure them. Which is kindest?"
Roydra: "I don't think that's hard to measure. What's besst for the patient?"

Coran: "Devils, deamons, they do exist." A rather large sword is suddenly on his hip. "This is Feindslayer. So named as I used it to kill 50 of the pit fiend body guard of Asmodeus, in Hell. Yes, I have seen the face of true Evil. It does exist. " The sword would depart.
Roydra: (Doesn't get it) "Oookay."

She was raised on Betazed, so is more familiar with that mythology. Like hearing "I went to Babbalook and killed 50 cryptaurinos, before confronting Joe, himself."

Even if she understood what he meant, she might just take it as a murder spree before she understood he was talking about magical creatures of inherently malicious nature.

She has encountered evil, although not on par with with Demons and Devils. She has encountered combat droids and beings absolutely bent on the destruction of the whole Federation/Grand Alliance and completely unwilling to listen to listen to reason about it.

But she doesn't believe normal mortal people could be inherently evil. And she is not 100% clear that the division I just described, Normal Mortal People is a thing. Demons, Devils Asmodeus and Coran are not normal mortal people and can't be described using the same ideas.

So her frame of reference is just not fitting what Coran is describing here.

Kami, Bubba, Binky and Jay-of-A come from a more supernatural world and so are completely ready to believe Coran. They hope never to get anywhere near that shit.