In character play
jayphailey

Re: Raphael & Ahern

Post by jayphailey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 pm

-----------------------

Innkeeper wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:43 am
Raphael: Quietly "I can be a being of terrible violence. I'm not particularly fond of that about myself, but it is in my nature. I have a home and a family. Threatening that would indeed get me to commit violence. I will do violence until the threat is gone. I will not like it."
Roxa: "As the Vulcans say, Peace and long life to you."
Roxa: "Even so, holding people captive against their will when they're not criminals. Rubs me the wrong way."
Ahern: "Rubbing so noted. I was a slave once. I'm not anymore. But I hold no grudge against it."
Roxa is stunned. "Really? I'd think someone held against their will would be most against it."
Raphael: "It is culture Roxa. I have learned the anti slavery attitude you have from my Earth friends. I have seen it practiced a dozen ways. Gently, illegally, casually, even only certain races. Yes I have seen cruelty and object to same. I live in a society that practices slavery as a form of punishment. The Eyrian Empire has no prisons. You are bonded for the amount you owe. Once paid, you are free. From what I have seen a gentle system.
Roxa blinks while she parses that out "So all crimes are measured in terms of currency, and then a criminal in indentured until the amount is paid off? Sounds like something the Ferengi would come up with."

OOC: Jae-the-Ferengi Hides note book. "We did! Years ago!"

--------------

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:17 am

jayphailey wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 pm
Roxa: "As the Vulcans say, Peace and long life to you."
Raphael: "And also unto you."

Roxa is stunned. "Really? I'd think someone held against their will would be most against it."
Ahern: Shrugs shoulders. "I'm a horse. Most of my kind are quadrupedal, Handicapped. Only about ten percent are even sophant. I drew the lucky card. I'm more intelligent than most and got noticed. So my move from property to freedom would not even register to most Horses. They are concerned only with food and sex. Among Horses I am a super genius. Among Humans, above average."

Roxa blinks while she parses that out "So all crimes are measured in terms of currency, and then a criminal in indentured until the amount is paid off? Sounds like something the Ferengi would come up with."
Raphael: "I do not know Ferengi. But that is much how it was explained to me. Prisons make the state pay for useless persons. Put them back into the productive economy. Even bonded persons have rights. Just not the rights to choose their own work or move."
-- The Innkeeper

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Poke? Do we even need this thing?
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Sorry.

This business with Bill has really sapped my energy

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 am

----------------

Innkeeper wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:17 am
Ahern: Shrugs shoulders. "I'm a horse. Most of my kind are quadrupedal, Handicapped. Only about ten percent are even sophant. I drew the lucky card. I'm more intelligent than most and got noticed. So my move from property to freedom would not even register to most Horses. They are concerned only with food and sex. Among Horses I am a super genius. Among Humans, above average."
Roxa tilts her head. (She doesn't know what a horse is) "So you think someone's freedom should be conditioned on their intelligence?"

Raphael: "I do not know Ferengi. But that is much how it was explained to me. Prisons make the state pay for useless persons. Put them back into the productive economy. Even bonded persons have rights. Just not the rights to choose their own work or move."

Roxa: "How are the rights of these bonded people protected?"

----------------

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:18 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 am
----------------
Roxa tilts her head. (She doesn't know what a horse is) "So you think someone's freedom should be conditioned on their intelligence?"
Ahern: "How could a non sophant creature understand rights?"

Raphael: "Different world Ahern."

Ahern: "He is the really smart one. Horse." A slightly translucent horse would appear, Ahern before transformation, so a full sized Belgian. "That is a Horse. Most are not concerned with life beyond food, sex, and not getting eaten, in that order. Like most non-sophants they live in the moment. Some of us are different, we do think of deeper things. I am one of the lucky ones."

Raphael: "Our world has physical laws you are unfamiliar with. The line between people and not people is not a clear one. Like wise the line between species is not clear. Someone like him (Indicates Coran) an you can make a child, that would be me. A hybrid between a Centaur and a Human. The magic we have demonstrated is likewise something every world does not have."

Raphael: "The same way any rights are protected. There is law enforcement. If you violate the rights of a bonded person, you get to know what being bonded is like. I have seen the inside of prisons. It's a much gentler system."

OOG: The prison in question was a hellhole in which you got thrown in and ignored. Prisoners were kept in and no guards cells or discipline. The party was sent in to get something. Yea they got adventurers to do the dirty work. The prisoners had scraped out a multi level dungeon by hand.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 pm

Innkeeper wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:18 pm
jayphailey wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 am
----------------
Ahern: "How could a non sophant creature understand rights?"

Raphael: "Different world Ahern."

Ahern: "He is the really smart one. Horse." A slightly translucent horse would appear, Ahern before transformation, so a full sized Belgian. "That is a Horse. Most are not concerned with life beyond food, sex, and not getting eaten, in that order. Like most non-sophants they live in the moment. Some of us are different, we do think of deeper things. I am one of the lucky ones."
Roxa (Head tilt): "You were an animal? But not an animal. I am confused."
Raphael: "Our world has physical laws you are unfamiliar with. The line between people and not people is not a clear one. Like wise the line between species is not clear. Someone like him (Indicates Coran) an you can make a child, that would be me. A hybrid between a Centaur and a Human. The magic we have demonstrated is likewise something every world does not have."
Roxa looks at Coran with a highly improbable set of mental images crashing through her brain. (A Purple half centaur?)

Roxa: "But if species aren't species, then how is anything anything? Why isn't everyone ever some weird mix with someone else?"

Raphael: "The same way any rights are protected. There is law enforcement. If you violate the rights of a bonded person, you get to know what being bonded is like. I have seen the inside of prisons. It's a much gentler system."

OOG: The prison in question was a hellhole in which you got thrown in and ignored. Prisoners were kept in and no guards cells or discipline. The party was sent in to get something. Yea they got adventurers to do the dirty work. The prisoners had scraped out a multi level dungeon by hand.
[/quote]

Roxa: "It really seems like it depends on the good will of the bond holder."

OOC: Roxa is just crashing into the concept. Prisons depend on the good will of the wardens, guards and the people who over see and support them. She's good at machines, warp drives and power systems. but sort of fresh and new to thinking about how societies are arranged.

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 pm
Ahern: "I am still an animal. In that respect we all are. Horses straddle the like between sophant and not sophant. Some are, some are not. I am still a Horse. I've been altered to be bipedal, I do not pass that on to offspring."

Roxa looks at Coran with a highly improbable set of mental images crashing through her brain. (A Purple half centaur?)

Roxa: "But if species aren't species, then how is anything anything? Why isn't everyone ever some weird mix with someone else?"
Raphael: "Most exotics, mixing sophant and non sophant are not clean. They mix the average lifespan of the parents, they are often sterile. some cannot talk. It takes magic to fix that. Hybrids, people like me, sophant-sophant crosses are better off. But some mixes do not work. Avian-Centaur to my knowledge has never happened. Being a Hybird myself I've looked into it.

OOC: Roxa is just crashing into the concept. Prisons depend on the good will of the wardens, guards and the people who over see and support them. She's good at machines, warp drives and power systems. but sort of fresh and new to thinking about how societies are arranged.
Raphael: "The very order of society depends on the good will of those in it. I've seen what happens when that fails."
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Copied for work

Post by jayphailey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:40 pm

All moves copied for work.

2nd to last day at UP

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:41 am

Innkeeper wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 pm
jayphailey wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 pm
Ahern: "I am still an animal. In that respect we all are. Horses straddle the like between sophant and not sophant. Some are, some are not. I am still a Horse. I've been altered to be bipedal, I do not pass that on to offspring."
Roxa: "Hmmm. Obviously I didn't pay enough attention in biology class. So, how did you change from a four footed person to a two footed person?"

Raphael: "Most exotics, mixing sophant and non sophant are not clean. They mix the average lifespan of the parents, they are often sterile. some cannot talk. It takes magic to fix that. Hybrids, people like me, sophant-sophant crosses are better off. But some mixes do not work. Avian-Centaur to my knowledge has never happened. Being a Hybird myself I've looked into it.
Roxa: (Blink blink) "I'd love to visit your world and see the different types of people.'

Raphael: "The very order of society depends on the good will of those in it. I've seen what happens when that fails."
[/quote]

Roxa: "We've encountered a few cases like that. Less than fun."