Q'onoS Afternoon

A place for TrekCreative and other SF offerings
Innkeeper
Site Admin

Q'onoS Afternoon

Post by Innkeeper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 am

“Admiral LaSaille.”

I turned toward the voice. I did not expect to be recognized. An older man, but I knew him. “Ambassador N'Qor. The honorific is a little late. It's been a while since I left the Fleet.”

He gave me his hand. “And I also. I am retied from the Diplomatic Corps. What brings you to Q'onoS?”

“Curiosity. I recently learned that it was possible to visit as a private citizen. I have dealt with things Klingon for many years. But never have I seen your Homeworld.”

N'Qor struck a pose, gesturing about the square. “And what do you think?"

“Instant opinion? I've been here two days. I thought a moment. Well from what I have seen I have started to learn why Klingons are as they are. We are each shaped by the world we come from.”

“No complains about the weather?” His eyes were dancing.

“About like a Kentucky July afternoon. The place I grew up. I understand it gets hotter in the south.”

“And where is Kentucky?”

“Lower upper latitudes. A third of the way to the Equator from the North pole. The Summer heat is remarked on.”

“A hard land?”

“Not now. Most of it is highly urbanized. Little of the wild country it was 600 years ago remains. I raise Horses there, large bodied, herbivore good for riding. Human civilization was built on their backs.”

“I should like to see one.”

“Come around, I'll see you get a ride.”

“Are they much like ParO?”

“In function yes. They don't usually try to bite you head off you if saddle them wrong.”

“Have you seen the Hall of Heroes yet?”

“I think it is required to be first on the itinerary. Sobering.”

N'Qor eyebrows went up. “Sobering? I have heard many words to describe the Hall of Heroes, but that is the first it has been called sobering.”

Jerry sighed deeply. “I am not a man of war N'Qor. I approach fighting with great reluctance. I've seen too much. I find any memorial dedicated to Warriors sobering for the bloodshed it represents.”

N'Qor ruminated a moment. “Would you say your viewpoint was common among Humans?"

“The older ones, the wiser ones, yes.”

“Then you have granted me insight into your kind I have lacked. Your kind is so good at war, but backs away quickly even with great advantage. Always the hand of peace is offered.”

Jerry shook his head. “We are not very good at war N'Qor. It is good for the Galaxy at large that this is so.”

“Yet you are good at battle. How is this?”

“We are fierce protectors. Klingons were given a way off Q'onoS early in your history, we were not. Your aggression could spread outward. Human aggression had no target but Man himself. We came way too close to self annihilation. The survivors were different. They did not revel in war, but the Qzin taught us that we could not put down the study of war. So we kept up the ancient skills.”

“But reluctantly. I have met Humans that glory in battle.”

“Such still exist. They are few, and far between.”

N'Qor walked a few steps. “Will there be war between our peoples again?”

Jerry stopped, and looked deep into the Klingon's eyes. “I do not think we are enough entangled as of yet. There are factions on both sides not ready for peace as the norm, as we have seen.”

He nodded. “Yes this is so.”

Jerry smiled: “You were not always a beacon of reason either N'Qor.”

N'Qor shook his head. One puppets the position one is told to. I am now old, and I have learned much. We need peace with the Federation. Neither of us can survive without it.

Yes, I see your point. The Federation might win that war, then come apart from the stress of fighting it. If the Empire won, the Romulans would be over the border in no time. We need peace, and I'm all in favor of it.”

N'Qor slapped Jerry on the back. “Come, let us drink to peace.”

Jerry smiled following N'Qor. “I might survive that, lead the way.”

Q'onoS Afternoon – Garry Stahl June, 2018

It's been a while since I wrote something not game related. It feels good. It sort of came to me. No claim of greatness as the muscles are rusty.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Re: Q'onoS Afternoon

Post by jayphailey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Thank you for posting this one

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:30 am

No other comment?
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 am

You've posted it before, yes? I enjoyed the character bit. I encourage you to write more like it