Raphael & Ahern

In character play
Innkeeper
Site Admin

Raphael & Ahern

Post by Innkeeper » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Roxa scans this process as it occurs
An unknown energy is being pulled in and converted to matter in a controlled manner.
"How are you doing that?
Raphael: "We call it magic. A means of focusing energy, in this case from a godly source to do work."

Her scans indicate that both of them reek of the energy.
How do you know your restoration is accurate?"
Raphael: "It knows what it was. The memory of the past is sufficient. It will not be something it was not. The spell is called 'make whole', and it does that, be it a scroll or a bit of crockery. It does not work on living things. For that you have healing."
Roxa: "What is the function of this artifact? To invoke a rain god? To create a rain god? To create rain on a god?"
Ahern: "I will not know until I fully study it. But from what we have seen so far, I suspect detailing ceremonies for the appeasement of same."

Raphael: "The more we learn of this culture, the more we are finding that their death by fire was not uncalled for."

Roxa: "Well, We have lots of refugees.. More are welcome. One of the quietly mentioned features of the Earth of my Federation is that the population is declining. Refugees are always welcomed there. They've rebuilt from the Iconian attack. You can't even tell it happened physically."
Raphael: "My turn. What is an Iconian?"

Roxa: "Oh. Like space!"
Ahern: "I have not been in 'space'."

Raphael: "The People of Earth H are doing this. 'Starships' they call them. Ships so fast they can cover the spaces between the stars. I have seen a few examples of the teleplay they call Star Trek, taken from the logs of the Corps of Discovery. It is interesting. They do not kill much, refreshing."

Roxa: "Really? What did you do there?"
Raphael: "Rested. For all the weirdness, Bitopia is a relatively safe plane. My family and I could catch our breath and rest for a while, without having to kill things."

Roxa (Blink, blink) "Well, that would explain a lot." (She looks around) "I'm having fun, but our SOP is to avoid this sort of thing if possible. We're seeing more such things. I wonder how I could assure myself this place is stable?"
Ahern: "It always has been. As you must, return to the place from which you entered, it is that stable."
Roxa: "Priests of which religion?"
Ahern: "I am the Divine Servant of Harimud of the Horseclans." He lightly touches the collar around his neck."

Raphael: "I am of the Household Order of Suszan McDonald, the Centaur goddess of motherhood and nature. I do not ignore the rest of the clan however." His eyes dart in the direction of the Centaur.

The Centaur nods back with a slight smile.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Re: Raphael & Ahern

Post by jayphailey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 am

Re: Roxa, Raphael and Ahern

On Friday, July 5, 2019, 07:12:28 AM PDT, Garry Stahl <tesral@wowway.com> wrote:

>> Roxa scans this process as it occurs

> An unknown energy is being pulled in and converted
> to matter in a controlled manner.

I am sure the tricorder is all "WTF!? WTF!?" Roxa records it carefully, unaware that she is generating data that will confuse and frustrate science officers for generations.

>> "How are you doing that?

> Raphael: "We call it magic. A means of focusing
> energy, in this case from a godly source to do work."

> Her scans indicate that both of them reek of the energy.

Roxa: "Godly energy?"

>> How do you know your restoration is accurate?"

> Raphael: "It knows what it was. The memory of the
> past is sufficient. It will not be something it was
> not. The spell is called 'make whole', and it does
> that, be it a scroll or a bit of crockery. It does
> not work on living things. For that you have healing."

Roxa: "The memory of the past? Your energy is looking into the past to guide the reconstruction? Why are living things different?"

OOC - Sandi had a magic person try to use a repair spell on a dead person. It repaired the body, but restored no life. My description of splattered brains and gore wriggling back into the skull squicked Sandi out.

>> Roxa: "What is the function of this artifact? To
>> invoke a rain god? To create a rain god? To
>> create rain on a god?"

> Ahern: "I will not know until I fully study it.
> But from what we have seen so far, I suspect
> detailing ceremonies for the appeasement of same."

Roxa: "Was that rain god a real being of some sort or a mythical entity?"

> Raphael: "The more we learn of this culture, the more
> we are finding that their death by fire was not
> uncalled for."

Roxa Blinks. This idea is extreme for her. "That seems unkind."

>> Roxa: "Well, We have lots of refugees.. More are
>> welcome. One of the quietly mentioned features of
>> the Earth of my Federation is that the population
>> is declining. Refugees are always welcomed there.
>> They've rebuilt from the Iconian attack. You can't
>> even tell it happened physically."

> Raphael: "My turn. What is an Iconian?"

Roxa: "Well, it happened while I was in school, so I didn't get to see any of it first hand. Nulle, Tiefa and Noseg there were on the Brethenga at the Battle they call The Gateway to Grethor. Everyone else was at the battle of Sol."

The Iconians were a race of advanced humanoids 200,000 years ago. A coalition of younger and more venal races attacked them for their secrets. The Iconians were so advanced and peaceful that their defenses were out of position. Their homeworld got smeared and a small handful of Survivors escaped to the Andromeda Galaxy.

Then, slowly but surely they came back. They operated through allies and agents. They caused the destruction of Romulus, and the Undine war. They sicced the Elachi and the Vardwaar on us.

The Iconians were so few, they operated through a race of genetically engineered servants called "Heralds" - Normal enough folks, I guess, if you over look the six eyes and no noses. But they worship the Iconians.

The Heralds built fleets of robot warships and ground fighting bots. So many robots.

They rolled across known space in about six weeks. I am told all the allied powers lost half their fleets. They managed to land on New Romulus and Qono'S.

Then they made one last big push, every ship that could move on both sides was at Earth. I've seen the scans. It looked ugly. Our side was badly outnumbered. Then One ship from the Allied side did something time travel related and came away with the thing they needed to make peace.

The Iconians retreated to their third Dyson Sphere at Iconia and asked to be left alone.

They are about two meters tall. They look like they are made from glowing swirling Jello. They hover about 50 centimeters off of the ground. They have metal.. oh, armor? clothing? something. It floats in close proximity to them. They have this style where they take metal and hold it in place with force fields. Their dress reflects this.

Their ships, did, too. Graceful spikes in close formation, but not actually touching. You know a Herald ship is done when it's sub hulls fly apart. I'm told it's more fun when they're exploding as they go.

If you see an Iconian speak carefully and respectfully and back away as soon as you can. They are tempermental and amazingly destructive when they get set off.

The Heralds are less touchy, but you don't see them around much. They're busy making sure their creators have what they want and get left alone.

>> Roxa: "Oh. Like space!"

> Ahern: "I have not been in 'space'."

> Raphael: "The People of Earth H are doing this.
> 'Starships' they call them. Ships so fast they
> can cover the spaces between the stars. I have
> seen a few examples of the teleplay they call
> Star Trek, taken from the logs of the Corps of
> Discovery. It is interesting. They do not
> kill much, refreshing."

Roxa: "Huh. Interesting. We have Star Trek, too. Ours started a few years ago. They say its taken from the logs of the various starships Enterprise, but Starfleet people say they borrow events from all over. On Purplevale it's used to popularize the concepts of Starfleet and the Federation. In the show there's not much fighting and they try to find peaceful resolutions. I've heard a few old timers wishing to get back to that.

Even a lot of the Klingons on our crew are tired of the war, and want to return to... well... Klingon peace time, where the battles are more widely spaced."

>> Roxa: "Really? What did you do there?"

> Raphael: "Rested. For all the weirdness, Bitopia
> is a relatively safe plane. My family and I could
> catch our breath and rest for a while, without having
> to kill things."

Roxa: "I understand how you feel. A lot of people on my ship have been fighting for a long time at this point. We just got out of the Hur'Q uprising. Between the Tzenkethi and the Hur'Q, it was just go, fight, go, fight. A lot of people aren't very happy with the Tzenkethi right now."

>> Roxa (Blink, blink) "Well, that would explain a lot."
>> (She looks around) "I'm having fun, but our SOP is
>> to avoid this sort of thing if possible. We're seeing
>> more such things. I wonder how I could assure myself
>> this place is stable?"

> Ahern: "It always has been. As you must, return
> to the place from which you entered, it is that stable."

Roxa: "How many times have you been here? How long have you been coming here?"

>> Roxa: "Priests of which religion?"

> Ahern: "I am the Divine Servant of Harimud of
> the Horseclans." He lightly touches the collar
> around his neck."

Roxa nods like she has the faintest idea. Her face betrays the fact that she's never heard a word of this before.

> Raphael: "I am of the Household Order of Suszan
> McDonald, the Centaur goddess of motherhood and
> nature. I do not ignore the rest of the clan
> however." His eyes dart in the direction of the Centaur.

> The Centaur nods back with a slight smile.
> --
> Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.

Roxa waves at the Centaur: "Greetings"

Roxa turns back to Raphael "Suszan McDonald? Sounds almost like an Earth name."

------------

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:31 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 am

I am sure the tricorder is all "WTF!? WTF!?" Roxa records it carefully, unaware that she is generating data that will confuse and frustrate science officers for generations.
It will keep them off the street.

Ahern: "Magic comes in several flavors. Mine, and a good deal of his are from gods, beings more sentient than us. They produce a power called 'Primal' which they can grant to those they wish to. Usually those that take oath as priests. While our gods differ they are friendly with each other."

Raphael: "We share a scholarly interest in the past."

Roxa: "The memory of the past? Your energy is looking into the past to guide the reconstruction? Why are living things different?"
Ahern: "It is the nature of anima, the thing that makes you alive. That spell will do nothing to heal anima. Other spells will. It is one of the primary functions of a priest to aid the people with healing."

OOC - Sandi had a magic person try to use a repair spell on a dead person. It repaired the body, but restored no life. My description of splattered brains and gore wriggling back into the skull squicked Sandi out.
There is now the formal spell restore corpse to do exactly that. For everything except true resurrection I require a head. At least a head.

Raphael: "No reason to believe he was not real. Fake gods get found out and the pushers thereof dealt with."

Ahern: Horsey smile "Or worse, your fake god gets worshiped real, and it eats you."

Raphael: "That was the case with Shuriss. A grifter with magic set up a religion with a painted snake as the god. The people indeed brought him offerings and he was rich and respected, then they worshiped the god real. And the grifter was eaten."

Ahern: "Shuriss is not a nice person."

Raphael: "The mentor was caused by no one. It was. However the Maztrka culture rolled in blood. From the records we have found, by us and others, their religious ceremonies could last days, and kill thousands of unwilling victims. Prisoners of war mainly. Entire sports teams if they lost."

Ahern: "So they were constantly at war with those around them."

Raphael: "We found a chapel deep in one of the temples that the fire did not reach. after 90,000 years the floor was an inch deep in hardened blood."

Ahern: "So, while no one killed them, and a great deal of harm was done by the meteor wiping out the Mazteka was not a bad thing.

Raphael: "The city of Calaborlieen was destroyed, hit even. The Quendi capital for 900,000 years a city of great beauty and grace. Wiped out in a second. The Quendii have never returned to that style of building."

The Iconians retreated to their third Dyson Sphere at Iconia and asked to be left alone.
Ahern: "Presumptuous of them. Destroy all before them and ask to be left alone?"

Roxa: "Huh. Interesting. We have Star Trek, too. Ours started a few years ago. They say its taken from the logs of the various starships Enterprise, but Starfleet people say they borrow events from all over. On Purplevale it's used to popularize the concepts of Starfleet and the Federation. In the show there's not much fighting and they try to find peaceful resolutions. I've heard a few old timers wishing to get back to that.
Raphael: "It must be a popular concept."

Even a lot of the Klingons on our crew are tired of the war, and want to return to... well... Klingon peace time, where the battles are more widely spaced."
Raphael: "I prefer no fighting."

Roxa: "I understand how you feel. A lot of people on my ship have been fighting for a long time at this point. We just got out of the Hur'Q uprising. Between the Tzenkethi and the Hur'Q, it was just go, fight, go, fight. A lot of people aren't very happy with the Tzenkethi right now."
Ahern: "Maybe you need ot go plane walking."

They look at each other.

Ahern: "Six, seven times, it comes more often for the plane touched."

Raphael: "When you return to this place, the Inn will not be there. This is consistent. You may in your life see it again, but the place will be different. When I see it I visit. It is a comfort to the planewalker."

The Centaur nods back. A brief look. She has gazed at the essence of protection and fatherhood. OOC: There is no awe effect, that cannot happen here.

Yes, she is from Earth, an Earth. Suszan was an Earth Human that came to Greyhawke and became a Centaur to marry the fellow that just delivered that keg."
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:27 am

Innkeeper wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:31 pm
jayphailey wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 am

It will keep them off the street.
When they find out where the readings came from, might be quarrantined.
Ahern: "Magic comes in several flavors. Mine, and a good deal of his are from gods, beings more sentient than us. They produce a power called 'Primal' which they can grant to those they wish to. Usually those that take oath as priests. While our gods differ they are
friendly with each other."
Roxa nods, not really understanding.
Raphael: "We share a scholarly interest in the past."
Ahern: "It is the nature of anima, the thing that makes you alive. That spell will do nothing to heal anima. Other spells will. It is one of the primary functions of a priest to aid the people with healing."
Roxa: "Huh. So you're saying there is an energy difference between things that are alive and things that are not?"
Raphael: "No reason to believe he was not real. Fake gods get found out and the pushers thereof dealt with."

Ahern: Horsey smile "Or worse, your fake god gets worshiped real, and it eats you."
Roxa: "Really? That sounds dangerous."
Raphael: "That was the case with Shuriss. A grifter with magic set up a religion with a painted snake as the god. The people indeed brought him offerings and he was rich and respected, then they worshiped the god real. And the grifter was eaten."

Ahern: "Shuriss is not a nice person."
Roxa: "Lots of getting eaten going on."
Raphael: "The mentor was caused by no one. It was. However the Maztrka culture rolled in blood. From the records we have found, by us and others, their religious ceremonies could last days, and kill thousands of unwilling victims. Prisoners of war mainly. Entire sports teams if they lost."

Ahern: "So they were constantly at war with those around them."

Raphael: "We found a chapel deep in one of the temples that the fire did not reach. after 90,000 years the floor was an inch deep in hardened blood."
Roxa: "Ew."
Ahern: "So, while no one killed them, and a great deal of harm was done by the meteor wiping out the Mazteka was not a bad thing.

Raphael: "The city of Calaborlieen was destroyed, hit even. The Quendi capital for 900,000 years a city of great beauty and grace. Wiped out in a second. The Quendii have never returned to that style of building."
Roxa: "Who are the Quendi?"
Ahern: "Presumptuous of them. Destroy all before them and ask to be left alone?"
Roxa: "I'm good. I will totally leave them alone."
Raphael: "It must be a popular concept."
OOC: Jay just looks at Garry
Raphael: "I prefer no fighting."
Roxa: "Me, too!"

[/quote]
Ahern: "Maybe you need ot go plane walking."

Roxa: "I am pretty sure we all just have, if I am understanding you."
They look at each other.

Ahern: "Six, seven times, it comes more often for the plane touched."

Raphael: "When you return to this place, the Inn will not be there. This is consistent. You may in your life see it again, but the place will be different. When I see it I visit. It is a comfort to the planewalker."
Roxa: "Huh. Oh. Okay."
The Centaur nods back. A brief look. She has gazed at the essence of protection and fatherhood. OOC: There is no awe effect, that cannot happen here.
Head tilt: "Reminds me of my dad. How does he do that?"
Yes, she is from Earth, an Earth. Suszan was an Earth Human that came to Greyhawke and became a Centaur to marry the fellow that just delivered that keg."
Roxa: "Became a Centaur? How does that work?"

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:18 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:27 am
When they find out where the readings came from, might be quarantined.
It will be off the street.

Roxa nods, not really understanding.
Raphael: "This happens in cross plane situations. The rules change.

Roxa: "Huh. So you're saying there is an energy difference between things that are alive and things that are not?"
Ahern: "Yes, very plainly so."

Roxa: "Really? That sounds dangerous."
Ahern: "Very dangrous, not recommeded."

Raphael: "Shuriss is not a nice person."

Ahern: "Indeed. At first we did not even know it was blood."

Raphael: "It looks like paint. Examination later proved the issue."

Raphael: "The First Children made by the Father of all. Long lived and mostly wise. They tend to live on the holistic and slow side. One of their plays can last a week."

Ahern: "It seems an intolerable situation."

OOC: Jay just looks at Garry.
What?!

Ahern: "The Inn is different, kinda, maybe."

Raphael: "He is a deity of Fatherhood. That is only natural."

Raphael: "Magic." The two look at each other. "You have it native."

Ahern sighs, concentrates for a moment. He morphs into a 7'4' Human with blond hair. Then back to horse.

Raphael Suszan did it for good. She fell for Coran hard.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Raphael & Ahern
Innkeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:18 pm
Ahern: "Yes, very plainly so."
Roxa: "Can you describe this energy? Is it visible to you? How do detect it?"

Raphael: "Shuriss is not a nice person."
Roxa: "Okay. Do not worship snake art. Got it."
Ahern: "Indeed. At first we did not even know it was blood."

Raphael: "It looks like paint. Examination later proved the issue."
Roxa: (Her imagination builds out the picture more and more) "I can't even deal with how awful that must have been to find. I don't think i'd ever get over the heebie jeebies."
Raphael: "The First Children made by the Father of all. Long lived and mostly wise. They tend to live on the holistic and slow side. One of their plays can last a week."
Roxa: "What do they look like?"
Ahern: "It seems an intolerable situation."
Roxa: "In 90 days they destroyed half the Allied fleet and put troops on New Romulus and Q'onoS. The Alliance was losing the battle for Earth when the time travel attempt worked. It'll be years before the losses are fully recovered. Peace is better. Leaving them alone and them leaving us alone is much better. Maybe the balance of power will change in time. Until then, best not to fix a situation that seems to be working.
OOC: Jay just looks at Garry.
What?!
We're STAR TREK FANS, of COURSE it's going to pop up in our multiverses.
Raphael: "He is a deity of Fatherhood. That is only natural."
Roxa: "A what, now?"
Raphael: "Magic." The two look at each other. "You have it native."

Ahern sighs, concentrates for a moment. He morphs into a 7'4' Human with blond hair. Then back to horse.

Raphael Suszan did it for good. She fell for Coran hard.
Roxa: "Shape changers! That explains a lot."

Ahern: "The Inn is different, kinda, maybe."
Roxa: "I need to go report this, I'll be right back.

Roxa goes and tells Tiefa Noseg and Nulle what she has discovered about the place.

They do not believe her and blow her off. "A pocket dimension. Sure, sure. Yeah yeah. Because a Pocket dimension is totally tied in with the Federation data net to facilitate commercial transations in energy credits. Yeah yeah."

"But the nice ... people at that table said- "

Nulle:"Roxa. Talk is cheap and tall tales are a great way to get a impressionable young girl to lower he guard. Don't give those men any Latinum, and think carefully about whether sex is really a good idea. If you get into trouble, screech or something, we'll thump 'em and it'll all be good, okay?"

Roxa looks at Raphael and Ahern. Definitely wasn't a "getting in her pants" kind of a groove.

Doubt clouds her mind

--------------------

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:37 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:55 pm
Raphael: "In words that can be understood? I see magic natively it is part of my being. The auras have a...flavor. You can tell roughly what the magic is for, and you can tell the source. Divine ,magic, arcane magic, earth magic and the magics of life and death. Scholars further divide them into schools of what the magic does. Healing, transformation and do forth. Ahern just used a spell of transformation from a divine source. I see that. Those with spells to do so can see it also. Your instrument is detecting something.

Roxa: "Okay. Do not worship snake art. Got it."
Ahern: "It would be wise to avoid."

Roxa: (Her imagination builds out the picture more and more) "I can't even deal with how awful that must have been to find. I don't think i'd ever get over the heebie jeebies."
Raphael: "It was not a pleasant realization. The mitigation being it was long long ago, and those that did it dead and gone. It did however confirm what we have been reading."

Ahern: "The old Elven books say much the same thing. But books can be very dry."

Raph look at Ahern. Ahern casts a sell and a full size image of a pair of Elves appears beside the table, nude, male and female.

Ahern: "Thus. These are Calaquendi, the more common of the Elves."

The image would slowly fade.

Roxa: "In 90 days they destroyed half the Allied fleet and put troops on New Romulus and Q'onoS. The Alliance was losing the battle for Earth when the time travel attempt worked. It'll be years before the losses are fully recovered. Peace is better. Leaving them alone and them leaving us alone is much better. Maybe the balance of power will change in time. Until then, best not to fix a situation that seems to be working.
Ahern: "And your gods did not aid?"

Rapheal: "Deity, god, a being of imense power and presence. He is part of the source of the power I have. The source mind you."

Ahern: "Neither one of us does it natively. It is a spell, but there are magics that can permanently change what you are. Use carefully."

Rapheal: "They can affect your mind as well."

Roxa: "I need to go report this, I'll be right back.

Roxa goes and tells Tiefa Noseg and Nulle what she has discovered about the place.

They do not believe her and blow her off. "A pocket dimension. Sure, sure. Yeah yeah. Because a Pocket dimension is totally tied in with the Federation data net to facilitate commercial transations in energy credits. Yeah yeah."

"But the nice ... people at that table said- "

Nulle:"Roxa. Talk is cheap and tall tales are a great way to get a impressionable young girl to lower he guard. Don't give those men any Latinum, and think carefully about whether sex is really a good idea. If you get into trouble, screech or something, we'll thump 'em and it'll all be good, okay?"
Bartender: "The nice people at the table are exactly right. This is a pocket universe. The computer behind the bar touches everything. If you have currency or specie the drawer gives me the right stuff. The nice people gave me gold. I don't know how it works, I just work here." wipes invisible stuff from bar.

Roxa looks at Raphael and Ahern. Definitely wasn't a "getting in her pants" kind of a groove.
Nope, they noticed she was female, that was it.
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Innkeeper wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:37 pm
jayphailey wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:55 pm
Raphael: "In words that can be understood? I see magic natively it is part of my being. The auras have a...flavor. You can tell roughly what the magic is for, and you can tell the source. Divine ,magic, arcane magic, earth magic and the magics of life and death. Scholars further divide them into schools of what the magic does. Healing, transformation and do forth. Ahern just used a spell of transformation from a divine source. I see that. Those with spells to do so can see it also. Your instrument is detecting something.
Roxa: "Hmmm. Do the things your magic works on heat up when Magic used on them? Do you heat up when you use magic? Would you be willing to some small expressions of this magic for me?"

Raphael: "It was not a pleasant realization. The mitigation being it was long long ago, and those that did it dead and gone. It did however confirm what we have been reading."

Ahern: "The old Elven books say much the same thing. But books can be very dry."
Roxa: "Well I hope so. If they were moist, wouldn't they rot?"
Raph look at Ahern. Ahern casts a sell and a full size image of a pair of Elves appears beside the table, nude, male and female.

Ahern: "Thus. These are Calaquendi, the more common of the Elves."

The image would slowly fade.
Roxa scans this as it happens. At a certain point, the magic has to do something to photons so people can see the image. So you have a conversion of magic energy into light energy. Roxa is trying to catch some hint of the change in state of the energy.

Ahern: "And your gods did not aid?"
Roxa: "I am not sure we have any of those in the way you mean. It would have been nice if someone like Q did, but nothing like that was reported. I was in Engineering School at the time. "

Rapheal: "Deity, god, a being of imense power and presence. He is part of the source of the power I have. The source mind you."
Roxa tilts her head. "There is some word of beings of amazing power, Q, Trelane, The Organians. But we don't worship them. I don't know much about them. I skimmed. Lots of engineering to jam into my brain."
Ahern: "Neither one of us does it natively. It is a spell, but there are magics that can permanently change what you are. Use carefully."

Rapheal: "They can affect your mind as well."
Roxa: "We yeah, if you change your brain, it'll change what your brain does. That makes sense."

Innkeeper
Site Admin

Post by Innkeeper » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 pm

jayphailey wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Roxa: "Hmmm. Do the things your magic works on heat up when Magic used on them? Do you heat up when you use magic? Would you be willing to some small expressions of this magic for me?"
Raphael: "I'm not aware of excess heat, unless fire is invoked. Do some magic." He takes a deep breath and his eyes begin to visibly glow blue. The scent of wormwood wafts about. He brings his hands together and purple lightening balls between them. No heat is being produced. Indeed the reaction in endothermic. He is pulling heat in. He brings his hands together and the lightning is gone. His eyes fade to the normal slightly luminated. "Like that?"

The sensors are going mad. His whole body is alive with an unknown energy. It is related to that found in the average life form, but more intense.

Ahern snorts. "Indeed. A colloquialism; 'without emotion or context'. Not dry as in without moisture. Although dry, 'without moisture' books are safe books indeed."

Roxa scans this as it happens. At a certain point, the magic has to do something to photons so people can see the image. So you have a conversion of magic energy into light energy. Roxa is trying to catch some hint of the change in state of the energy.
Nothing has happened to the air or the photons. A projection of psionic energy. It was all in her mind, but projected onto the space.

OOC: The illusion was general. The bar would see it as well.

Roxa: "I am not sure we have any of those in the way you mean. It would have been nice if someone like Q did, but nothing like that was reported. I was in Engineering School at the time. "
Rapheal: "I cannot speak for your world. I don't know enough, and speaking from ignorance is an unwise thing."

Roxa tilts her head. "There is some word of beings of amazing power, Q, Trelane, The Organians. But we don't worship them. I don't know much about them. I skimmed. Lots of engineering to jam into my brain."
Ahern: (Gently) "What is, is. We do not know enough to judge."

Roxa: "We yeah, if you change your brain, it'll change what your brain does. That makes sense."
Ahern: "For better or worse. Turn a goat into a man, and you have a goat that looks like a man, but over time, you get a goatly man. The opposite is also true. A man can degenerate to a goat. polymorph is rightly considered a dangerous spell."
-- The Innkeeper

jayphailey

Post by jayphailey » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:06 am

Innkeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 pm
jayphailey wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm
Raphael: "I'm not aware of excess heat, unless fire is invoked. Do some magic." He takes a deep breath and his eyes begin to visibly glow blue. The scent of wormwood wafts about. He brings his hands together and purple lightening balls between them. No heat is being produced. Indeed the reaction in endothermic. He is pulling heat in. He brings his hands together and the lightning is gone. His eyes fade to the normal slightly luminated. "Like that?"

The sensors are going mad. His whole body is alive with an unknown energy. It is related to that found in the average life form, but more intense.
Roxa records it all "Neat! Where do you say this energy is coming from?"
Ahern snorts. "Indeed. A colloquialism; 'without emotion or context'. Not dry as in without moisture. Although dry, 'without moisture' books are safe books indeed."
Roxa: "oh."

Nothing has happened to the air or the photons. A projection of psionic energy. It was all in her mind, but projected onto the space.

OOC: The illusion was general. The bar would see it as well.
So if someone wore a psi-shield, they couldn't see it?
Rapheal: "I cannot speak for your world. I don't know enough, and speaking from ignorance is an unwise thing."
Roxa: "You'd expect your Gods to intervene if the Iconians threatened your world? How so?"
Ahern: (Gently) "What is, is. We do not know enough to judge."
Roxa shrugs "Apparently, neither do i!"
Ahern: "For better or worse. Turn a goat into a man, and you have a goat that looks like a man, but over time, you get a goatly man. The opposite is also true. A man can degenerate to a goat. polymorph is rightly considered a dangerous spell."
Roxa: "It doesn't seem like anything you'd want to mess with lightly."

------------------
rouschkateer wrote: Is Bill the type of person who reads things and decided that's how it should go?
Yes, but not quite in the way you're thinking.

He knows he's right and he knows that everyone else is wrong.

When he was a young he encountered a cross country track coach who preached the wonders of nutrition to him. Bill believed this and seems to have built a belief systemn about it.

Today he was feeling better and asserted to me that he felt like he would be okat if he could get back on his "Superfoods" regime.

Anyone who has done any reading in the skeptic route can recognize this. People don't change their beliefs without something large intervening.

You can present countervaling facts, but they don't stick. A few minutes or a few days later, the believer has returned to his previous belief system.

James Randi called them "Unsinkable Rubber Duckies"

But its true of lots and lots of people. Catch em wrong and they won't listen to SHIT.

Bills flavor of Woo is "Superfoods" and nutritional woo. He knows he right.

Lying in a nursing home, shy a leg and weighing 150 lbs, recovering from a terrible terrible ass kicking, Bill has reasons why the ass kicking happened. He knows deep inside that he's right and everyone else is wrong.

Ive seen this a LOT. Ive never seen a version of it this dense and intractable.

Bill does not read much on the internet. He doesn't own a computer. He doesn't own a TV. He listens to radio. He reads books out of the library next to his apartment.

But he discovered a flavor of woo that he thinks works and by God, that's what hes going for.
As in - he's a previous athletic type and somehow got it into his head that a liquid protein diet is the way to go? Like online?
Not online. His ideas come from diet and nutrtional fad books he's checked out of the library and... whereever he's encountered them

Right now, it's liquid protien and chia seeds.
Where I'm going with this is - if he can ask keyboard warriors or look it up online how he should handle the situation - do you think it would help? If he had enough people saying "dude, you need massive intakes of nutrients right now", maybe something would click.
Nope. He has doctors, nurses and me saying "Dude! Seriously!" and he won't listen. I think hes is going to pursue doing it Bill's way right into a serious problem.
No one in authority telling him, demanding him, mandating him - just good ole fashioned Internet advice, or what have you.
He has no contact with the internet at this time.
I dunno. What Crim said was sport on. I can't handle resistance to that degree. I would have deuced out. Kudos to you for being able to.
Well it seems Bill is not quite right in the head and I haven't really noticed. And I am not hearing from anyine inside the facility about timelines or Bills actual progress.

I'll have to go there early next week and see if I can round up someone who knows something.

---------------------
Truecrimson wrote: The nurses are probably LPNs/LVNs, whatever they call them in WA. They are lowest level of nursing. They are mostly assembly line pill pushers and many, but not all of them, won't have much capacity beyond that. You ran into one of the low capacity ones there.

I am becoming reminded of one of the old jokes about the medical field. Involving communication.
The urinary tract issues need to be pursued. The way that gets done is that you or his ex or daughter chomps onto the ankles of he nurses like a rabid chihuahua and gnaw until they do something. If you see his doctor you can also bring it up to them. If you see a supervisor or the floor manager you can approach them. If you leave it to the regular nurses it won't be addressed until it turns into a bigger problem.
He is still catheterized. He is waving this off as not a big problem I think it's more of a problem than that

---------------